Book Reviews

‘The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.’ Alan Bennett

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka

Wednesday 4 September 2013

Wondrous Words Wednesday (1)


Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion and is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love.  

I think this is a great idea! I decided to start taking part in this and highlighting words that are new to me/that I really like/that struck me for some reason..!



This week my words are all from Bellman and Black by Diane Setterfield (Orion)


1 striation (noun) - 'There were indeed abrasion marks that William had taken for striations in the stone.'


One of a number of parallel lines or scratches on the surface of a rock that were inscribed by rock fragments embedded in the base of a glacier as it moved across the rock.




2 prestidigitation (noun) - '...fingertips bouncing off each other in a spellbinding display of prestiditigitation...'


Performance of or skill in performing magic or conjuring tricks with the hands; sleight of hand.

A show of skill or deceitful cleverness.


3 bombazine (noun) - '...looking for bombazine and parramatta and mourning silk and merino...'

A fine twilled fabric of silk and worsted or cotton, often dyed black and used for mourning clothes.



Definitions from the free dictionary


12 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in the fun today! Bombazine is new to me - I wish it meant something besides fabric so I could add it to my vocabulary because it sure is fun to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting this lovely feature! :) I've enjoyed joining in. It's a great word isn't it!

      Delete
  2. I knew striation , but not the others.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/09/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsay,

    Great to have you join in this meme. I don't manage to participate every week, however there are always some great new words to check out and Kathy is a fantastic host.

    Yeah! This is the second site I have visited today, where I know all the words, this has to be a first ... Of course my vocabulary could just be getting better ... but I rather think it was more luck and good fortune, than any form of intellect on my part!

    Bombazine is always a word which seems not to fit its definition somehow.It sounds as though it should be something solid and substantial, not a fine silk cloth. It is also just a plain funny word to say!

    Thanks for sharing such great words, I have just received the NetGalley download of 'Bellman & Black', it sounds so good.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thans for your lovely comment Yvonne, and for the welcome to the meme. I don't know if I'll get round to taking part every week but I'd like to when I can, it's really interesting! I see what you mean about bombazine. Well done on knowing all these words by the way. I hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to WWW, it's so interesting each week. You found three wonderful words. I've known striation for some time- it's used to describe muscles too. I know that I've come across prestidigitation several times before, but it's one of those words that doesn't stick for some reason- I suspect that there should be a word for that too. As an Australian I must say that parramatta leapt out of your last sentence more than bombazine (although that does have a wonderful sound in the mouth). Parramatta is a city within Sydney, but I've never heard it used for a fabric- fascinating to learn.

    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/parramatta

    Seems it's named after Parramatta, which makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind welcome and for your lovely comment Louise. I was partly thinking about including parramatta as well and having four words, as I thought it was interesting too! Thanks for taking a look into it and sharing it here. I like that it is the name of a city too.

      Delete
  5. Fun meme...how have I never seen it before? Bombazine is new to me:) Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to dig into this book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good isn't it! I have seen it but not managed to get round to taking part until this week. I hope I'll take part again. I've just finished the book and I liked it. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for commenting Melissa.

      Delete
  6. Great words! Prestidigitation is one I'd love to be able to use in a conversation if I could only commit it to memory. I decided to try this meme this week for the firs time as well. My post can be found HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live this meme so interesting. Keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. It's great reading your comments and I really appreciate them :)