Book Reviews

‘The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.’ Alan Bennett

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka

Monday 19 August 2013

The Classics Club Spin - the result...



The Classics Club Spin number this time is 4, and number 4 on the list of 20 titles I made was...


 Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy



I'm pleased by the result and looking forward to reading this one. Hardy is a favourite of mine. I actually have already read this one, many years ago now, and it will be lovely to revisit it! I'll aim to post about it on October 1st.

10 comments:

  1. I haven't even heard of this one...I don't read many classics...and haven;t read any Hardy except Tess a few years ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Hardy at school as part of my English Literature course Melissa, and I really liked his novels, so it's nice to think about going back and re-reading one of the ones I read back then.

      Delete
  2. I love Hardy, and I think this is one of his most readable books. Enjoy, and I'll be watching for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you love Hardy too, Jane. I agree, from my memories of the ones I read. Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Definitely one of Hardy's better books - Tess of the D'urbs and Jude the Obscure belong too much in their time; Madding Crowd works better for the modern reader. You could always cheat and watch the Julie Christie/Terence Stamp film but it's at least 3 hours long so almost as easy to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Mary. I think I did watch the film years ago, but I am definitely looking forward to re-reading the novel.

      Delete
  4. I read this one many years ago too, when I read quite a lot of Hardy's books - he's one of my favourite authors. I'm interested to see what you think of it this time round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I read quite a few of them in a short space of time, years ago, too. He has remained one of my favourites.

      Delete
  5. Enjoy! I read Tess of the d'Urbervilles for the last spin and ended up loving it. The Tuesday Book Talk group on goodreads is reading/discussing Far From the Madding Crowd this month, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoAnn! I'm off to have a look at that on goodreads too.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. It's great reading your comments and I really appreciate them :)