Book Reviews

‘The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.’ Alan Bennett

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka

Tuesday 13 August 2013

Bout of Books 8.0 - Sign up


The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 19th and runs through Sunday, August 25th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 8.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team



I've heard about the Bout of Books read-a-thon before, but never taken part, so when I noticed that it was coming up again, I thought I'd give it a try this time for the first time and see how I get on!


My plan is to try and read quite a few short books, and then read, or at least start, several slightly longer novels if possible. 

I'm hoping to try and read at least some, if not all, of the following short books, over the week:

(These books are all between around 90 to 200 pages each)

Someday We'll Tell Each Other Everything by Daniela Krien (Maclehose Press)
(for my 2013 Translation Challenge reading)
The Mussell Feast by Birgit Vanderbeke (Peirene Press) READ
(another for the Translation Challenge)
New England Rocks by Christina Courtenay (ChocLit) READ
(a YA read by an author I've enjoyed reading before)
The Secret Lake by Karen Inglis (Well Said Press) READ
(a children's book)
The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West (ViragoMC)
(for my Classics Club reading)
Glaciers by Alexis M. Smith (Oneworld)
(looks a beautiful little book)
Blackmore's Treasure by Derek G. Rogers (YouWriteOn)
(a children's historical adventure book)


Looking forward to seeing how I get on and to visiting other blogs both already known to me and new to see how others are enjoying it too!


15 comments:

  1. Good luck with the readathon! I've been tempted to take part in this one before, as it seems fairly low-pressure. Looks like you have some good choices lined up. I've heard great things about The Mussel Feast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie. It's my first go and you're right it does seem low-pressure. I wanted to try and get a few very short or quite short books off my to be read shelf. Yes I've seen some good reviews of that one too.

      Delete
  2. Good luck Lindsay! I think reading shorter books is the way to go...I always end up with 500+ [agers during readathons and then get discouraged when everyone reads more books than I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Melissa! I am the same, I don't read very quickly at times, and then if I'm reading a big long book, I get discouraged too.

      Delete
  3. Hope you have a wonderful readathon week, Lindsay! I read Alexis Smith's 'Glaciers' recently and loved it. I hope you enjoy reading it. I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I also read a review of 'The Mussel Feast' just now and it looks like a powerful book. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Vishy! It's great to hear that you loved 'Glaciers', thank you for the good wishes!

      Delete
  4. I'm new to Bout of Books, too. Should be fun, good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting Monika. Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  5. So pleased your joining in! I loved it earlier this year and I'm really excited for it this time around too. I did a little twitchy dance when I saw Return of the Soldier on your to-read list, it is one of my favourite books and I cannot wait to hear your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. See you around the Bout! ;) It's my first time! I'm excited...but then, I'm easily excitable, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome aboard & Good Luck.

    Amy @ www.bookgoonie.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just read The Mussel Feast and realy enjoyed it and now read the brilliant review on Vishy's blog of Glaciers which sounds like a must-read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like some good variety. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. It's great reading your comments and I really appreciate them :)