Book Reviews

‘The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.’ Alan Bennett

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka

Tuesday 2 April 2013

The Quietness - Alison Rattle



In this novel aimed at young adults, we are transported back to Victorian London. It is 1870, and we meet fifteen-year-old Queenie who has a miserable standard of living in a slum area, sharing a room with her parents and siblings. She decides to leave one day, little realizing what horrors there are in the world beyond the only one she has known so far.

Across London, sixteen-year-old Ellen lives a different life. She has a beautiful home and a privileged existence. However, she is very lonely. Her mother is cold and distant, and her father is equally cold towards her.

The novel follows the fortunes of these two girls, with the author depicting the events that befall them, and the gradual coming together of their lives. The title of the novel is cleverly incorporated into the storyline in several ways. I don’t want to say too much about the main aspect that it refers to, only to mention that Queenie finds a position helping two sisters with babies that women have had to give away because their circumstances don’t allow them to keep them.

The atmosphere of London and life there back then is very well evoked. I felt transported back to the poverty, the dirt and desperation through the character of Queenie, walking alongside her. Ellen experiences loneliness and longs for a family who cares for her and loves her. Queenie has a family who loves her but she longs to improve her life. The frustration and unhappiness of both their lives comes across powerfully and I felt for both characters. As their paths meet, Ellen and Queenie form a firm friendship that is strong and will be key to both their futures.

I enjoyed this book a lot. It deals with friendship, sadness, families, loneliness and a terrible crime. I think that through this story the author offers some telling insights into the awful limitations on a woman’s life back then, having little choice but to behave as men instructed or risk being incarcerated or worse. As an adult reader, I am older than the target audience but I think adults will enjoy this one too. I did guess at some of the secrets in the story before they were revealed, and this possibly lessened the tension a little for me, but nevertheless I still very much enjoyed reading on and discovering the full extent of the twists and turns in the narrative and learning the outcome of the story. 

Published by Hot Key Books

Reviewed as part of the amazon vine programme

10 comments:

  1. I must read this! I’ve always been fascinated with Victorian London, and the difference between the two girls makes it even more appealing. I even like the title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, the title is clever in the way it relates to several aspects within the book - one most of all, but also it is something that is relevant to both girls. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful review Lindsay, more my sisters kind of read though. I shall pass the title on to her

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    I hope you had a lovely Easter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lainy it was good, we went to a family wedding and it was really nice. I hope you had a good weekend too. Thanks for your kind comments x

      Delete
  4. Sounds a fab story Lins. Thank you for introducing me to new authors/stories :)

    Fabulous review x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Shaz. It's a good read for taking you away back into another time and place and a compelling, if very sad story.

      Delete
  5. I read this the other day and it's a great read for female teens as well as "older" ladies like myself! I love novels set in the Victoria era and this one reminded me of Mary Hooper's excellent YA novels. Thanks for the pass-on, Lindsay! Tx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Treez, I've only read one of Mary Hooper's I think, I will definitely read more of hers as I like this type of book. x

      Delete
  6. I don't usually read YA but the combination of the story, Victorian setting and that beautiful cover have me interested!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. It's great reading your comments and I really appreciate them :)