Book Reviews

‘The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours.’ Alan Bennett

“Many a book is like a key to unknown chambers within the castle of one’s own self.” ― Franz Kafka

Friday 23 November 2012

The Painted Bridge - Wendy Wallace



It is 1859 when Anna Palmer is cruelly incarcerated against her will by her husband Vincent in a Victorian asylum near London named Lake House. This private asylum houses genteel women supposedly needing a rest and a cure, those who have delicate sensibilities. Having realised what has happened to her, and what Lake House actually is, Anna immediately sets about trying to prove there is nothing wrong with her and that she doesn’t belong there and should be allowed to leave immediately. She appeals unsuccessfully to her uncaring husband to let her return home.

Lucas St Clair is a physician working at the asylum, employing the very new medium of photography in his work with the patients, believing that it may perhaps be used to shed light on the health of their minds.

Anna is subject to cruel treatments in the asylum that were common in those days, supposedly in the name of a cure. Initially she wants little to do with the other residents, but slowly she lets her guard down and finds more in common with some of them than she first expected. Alongside some companionship with the owner’s daughter, and her meetings with Lucas St Clair, they are of course the only people who can help reduce her feelings of isolation and from whom she can gain strength and solidarity.

I was gripped by the storyline right from the start. I felt sad at the helpless situation Anna found herself in, and angry at the ease with which she was locked away there by her husband. The author highlights the cruelties and injustices of the system and of society prevalent in those times, leaving women with little or no say in their own destiny, and locked away for feeling low or anxious, or just not behaving as expected. The writer caused me to care about Anna and share her feeling of being trapped, and I was willing her to find an escape somehow.

I loved the author’s use of language, and the names she created for some of the characters at Lake House struck me as perfect.

There is beautiful and convincing period detail throughout this intelligent, perceptive historical novel, and the author has evidently researched her topics well, but is never heavy handed with the details. I found it particularly interesting to read about this early use of photography, the processes involved, and this theory that it may enlighten a doctor as to the mental health of patients. Will Anna be able to prove her sanity? What is the truth about her past, and her husband? The lines between truth, reality and fact become blurred until we are unsure quite what to believe at times.

The hardback edition of this novel has beautiful endpapers which complement it very well.

This is a fascinating, emotional and compelling debut novel with engaging characters and a strong storyline throughout. This is a book that I would definitely read a second time. I am really looking forward to reading the next novel by this author. 


Published by Simon & Schuster

You can follow the author on twitter @slangular and visit her website here.

Thank you very much to the publisher for the opportunity to meet this author at their book bloggers event recently. Thank you very much to Wendy for being so friendly and happy to discuss her book and her work. 

14 comments:

  1. Now, I'm going to have to move this to the top of my To Read pile....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I hope you enjoy it! Was lovely meeting the author at the S&S event wasn't it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good one, Lindsay. I wonder was she incarcerated for reading too much...it seemed to be a sign of weakness in women in Victorian times, gave them ideas above their station! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like this one Treez. So unfair for her though.

      Delete
  3. Always enjoy reading your reviews Lins. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very sad Lindsay but very tempting. I will look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad Sarah, it also made me feel angry but it is so interesting to have this time brought to life again so well.

      Delete
  5. First off...I am in love with that cover...absolutely amazing. Second...it seems that all the books you read are so emotional...I am tempted to pick quite a few up but I really try to read as an escape. This one might make me break my rule though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful cover isn't it! As I say, the endpapers are gorgeous too, perhaps I should add a photo. I think you are right Melissa I do tend to read these kinds of books but I suppose I find them an escape too in some ways. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. This sounds really great Lindsay, I am always so tempted by anything with a Victorian asylum setting, so atmospheric. May have to treat myself to this while doing my Christmas shopping next week!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really like this one Marie, and I'd be interested in what you think of it. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. This does sound like a great read, I am always in awe of writers who research other periods of history and bring them alive. I am very much looking forward to reading this! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for commenting Wendy. I feel the same, it's wonderful to have another time brought to life as you read. I do hope you enjoy it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave a comment. It's great reading your comments and I really appreciate them :)